Position: Special Education Teacher
Supervisor: Special Education Coordinator
Description: Teaches school subjects to those students with identified disabilities on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and other students identified through the MTSS Team as Tier 3 students.
- Demonstrates an awareness and commitment to this district’s philosophy of education.
- Plans and implements a program of student needs that reflects the individual student needs interests and abilities of each student in accordance with the Individualized Educational Plan.
- Maintains Special Education Progress Goals of the students’ progress towards achieving the identified goals and objectives.
- Maintains accurate and complete student IEP, records, and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Develop and implement strategies to meet the needs of students with a variety of handicapping conditions.
- Modify the general education curriculum for special-needs students, based upon a variety of instructional techniques and technologies.
- Monitors and assesses the progress of students on a regular basis and communicates progress through student conferences, parent conferences and established procedures.
- Utilizes all available resources to diagnose the learning needs of students and determines their learning styles and selecting appropriate teaching strategies.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct for the classroom, assists in developing reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Cooperates with co-workers and administration in helping to foster a positive public image of our programs and practices.
- Participates and contributes to system-wide activities designed or related to curriculum development and selection of instructional materials.
- Shares in the responsibility for the development and implementation of co-curricular activities.
- Demonstrates a commitment to professional growth by participation in a variety of activities including, but not limited to in service programs, graduate work and evidence of reading of professional journals and publications.
- Acts as a resource to classroom teachers for special educational material and methods.
- Assumes other appropriate responsibilities as delegated by the building principal or Special Education Coordinator.
- Must comply with faculty handbook and ADP Total Source policies handbook.
- Possess a valid Michigan teacher’s certificate.
- Bachelors Degree with a major in a specific special education area or have earned credit in course work equivalent to that required for a major.
- Possess an endorsement in special education that is valid in grades K - 12.
- Have completed not less than 8 weeks of directed student teaching in the specific area of impairment. Not less than a 180-hour practicum in the specific area of impairment is required for each additional endorsement.
- Must hold one of the following endorsements through the State of Michigan:
Speech & Language Impairment*4
Physical or Other Health Impairment*4