The Covenant House Academies, Detroit District consists of three schools within the city of Detroit. We work with young people, aged 16-22 years old who have experienced barriers to earning their high school diploma. We pledge to give them unconditional love and absolute respect as they work to graduate from our schools. We use a combination of on-line learning and direct instruction to guide them through the curriculum. This allows us to enroll students at any time throughout the year and to individualize their learning. We are looking for a proven educational leader who shares our belief in the value of every student and our commitment to their well-being and success.
Please submit a letter of interest, resume, copy of certification and references to Michael Krystyniak, President of Youth Vision Solutions at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 25, 2018.
Position: Superintendent of Schools, Covenant House Academies, Detroit
Reports to: President, Youth Vision Solutions
General Description: Oversees the day-to-day operation of three charter schools, supervises the administrators, and manages all academic expectations for the schools. Ensures that all policies and procedures are followed in the spirit of the Covenant Academy Mission statements. Responsible for maintaining communication between Covenant House Academies in regards to employees managed by Youth Vision Solutions (YVS).
Educational and work experience requirements:
- Master’s degree in Education discipline
- Minimum 5 years administrative experience at high school level, preferably in alternative education.
- A valid and current school administrator certificate from the Michigan Department of Education
- Knowledge of curriculum management.
- PC/Computer experience with working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Sufficient health, ability, experience, and education to perform assigned duties with or without accommodation.
- Belief in Covenant House Academy Mission Statement and desire to fulfill the mission.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of homeless and at-risk youth that Covenant House Academy serves.
Essential skills and abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, representatives of other agencies and the public.
- Ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with both internal and external individuals and/or businesses.
- Ability to work primarily at desk/computer for approximately 8 hours per day.
- Ability to drive agency or personal vehicle to transport items and/or persons.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Uphold Covenant House Academy standards of conduct, policies and procedures in the spirit of the Covenant House Academy at all times.
- Attend and participate in all scheduled or mandatory, training and supervisions as requested.
- Responsible for compliance of all grants and state aid.
- Direct and supervise each school administrator to ensure all school requirements are being met including education of at-risk homeless youth.
- Ability to work with board members on the respective school board.
- Research and request additional State and Federal funds to enhance educational opportunities of youth in our school, and for remedial & after school programs.
- Work on necessary legislative advocacy for at-risk school youth.
- Oversee all day-to-day operations at the facilities, including program implementation and local community relations.
- Respond appropriately to emergencies and crises at the facilities, and in the lives of the youth served, consistent with agency values and policies.
- Ensure timely and accurate collection and documentation of statistical data relating to educational data, and maintains the confidentiality of that data.
- Responsible for all school based staff in agreement with the approved budget by Youth Vision Solutions.
- Identify staff training needs, and provide training; or recommend outside training as appropriate.
- Perform all other tasks as requested by Youth Vision Solutions (YVS).
This description is a summary of the responsibilities, duties, knowledge, skills, experience, abilities and qualifications associated with this position. It is not an exhaustive list and may be changed at any time at the discretion of the Covenant House Academy administration.
Youth Vision Solution, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. YVS will not discriminate against any otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment with respect to hire, tenure, terms, conditions or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, marital status, disabilities or other legally protected status.