Position:Special Education Teacher
Reports to: Principal, Darci Long
Employed by: Mitten Educational Management
Nature of the Position:
The special education teacher at BCA will play a vital role in our school’s education by providing assistance to students through leadership, advocacy, and collaboration. The teacher will help create a safe learning environment for students and adhere to professional and ethical standards while implementing a results-based special education program aimed at promoting student achievement.
Responsibilities of the Position:
- Identify needs of assigned students through formal and informal assessments.
- Review referral data, history and assessment data to develop appropriate goals and objectives for each student.
- Confer with general education teachers regarding the educational, social, emotional, and physical needs and objectives of each student.
- Plan, develop and implement individualized learning plans for each student.
- Design appropriate teaching strategies.
- Prepare instructional materials and lesson plans according to Individual Educational Plans (IEP).
- Utilize appropriate methods of learning delivery and instruction to meet the needs of each student.
- Monitor, evaluate, and document each student’s progress utilizing appropriate measurements and assessment devices.
- Prepare timely progress reports for each student.
- Develop and implement necessary interventions and strategies to promote achievement of student objectives.
- Maintain regular communication with parents by means of email, phone calls, conferences and progress reports.
- Manage student behavior through monitoring, supervising and assessing behavioral patterns.
- Maintain accurate and complete records in compliance with school district regulations and legal requirements.
- Maintain a current knowledge of special education best practices and trends.
- Other tasks as required by school leadership.
The following are the critical skills, beliefs, and experiences:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education.
- Valid Michigan teaching certification.
- Appropriate special education endorsement.
- Understanding of the legal, professional and ethical issues that affect special education.
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to the school’s mission, vision, and core values
- Valid Michigan fingerprint clearance.